Sunday, June 7, 2015

Algos Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

I would describe Algos as a Melodic Death/Doom metal band, with hints of pretty much everything that inspires me, ranging from black, folk and classical. This freedom is what i believe appeals to some of the listeners and makes me love writing/recording my music

2.So far you have released 2 ep's and a full length,  how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on those recordings?

The first EP (Misery Loves Solitude), which i started calling more of a demo nowadays cause of bad judgment back in the day, was a bit of an experiment on my behalf, It was the first time i recorded anything, and i started learning vocals weeks before that i think. I wanted to make a  Doom metal EP but that quickly went off road when writing From The Depths which has more of a melodic death vibe and that stacked around for the rest of the album with exception of Now she sleeps (The acoustic track of the EP)

As a result of that song i decided to make the Fragmented acoustic EP, which is something quite scary to do in a metal community, but I’m really glad i did.

After that i combined both writing styles a bit and The Death Of Seasons started to come together. Which is now the main style i will try to upkeep but maybe some more acoustic stuff included from time to time!

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you explore with your music?

All lyrics are about personal topics and depression, i like to write lyrics that are a bit vague to others but that will be very clear for those that know what it's about. But still make them enjoyable and open to interpretation

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Algos'?

Algos is the Greek spirit of depression, which comes right back to the lyrical theme.
I didn't want a name I’d regret later by making it a spur of the moment thing and this is what really stuck with me

5.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with another label or do you prefer to remain solo?

I prefer to remain solo due to how personal it all is to me, i have a spot open for a mate of mine who is a drummer but that just didn’t fit in , time wise, for the last album so that might be something that will change. I have a drum kit available but i tried recording it and, well, the current sound is a lot better. Haha

6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I have received some label offers but nothing that i really considered yet, If something comes along that i feel is right for me i will surely do it but I’m not going to rush into poor decisions just to get my music out there.

7.The new album has been promoted through WeakLight promotions, can you tell us a little bit more about this company?

WeakLight promotions is doing a great job helping me spread my music which i failed to do at earlier albums. I'm horrible at promotion and i got in touch with  the guy running this and it's a great experience so far,

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of doom and death metal?

So far, except the occasional internet trolls, it's been amazing.  I was afraid it was  going to be a love it or hate it album cause of the diversity in genres but i haven’t really heard anything about it, in a negative light, that i found to be out of place or i didn’t enjoy reading.  Some people not liking certain songs or aspects of it are mostly told to me in a nice and productive way so i can't complain about the reception of the album and the fan response

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I don't see myself being in a full band for multiple reasons but i am going to keep doing Algos, and i already got 20 minutes done for the next album.  I'm also doing more side projects now like vocals for Il Vuoto and will probably be writing an album with a fellow solo artist.  So basically, More Algos, and more projects hopefully.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Some of my main inspirations are , In Mourning, Daylight Dies, Swallow The Sun, Woods of Ypres, Dax Johnson, Enshine. This list goes on pretty long, All of these have the element of desperation in their music that i love.

Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of Wilderun, Angelmaker, Disperse, Mechina and even The Offspring for nostalgia.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I'm very much into fitness and bodybuilding, not much of a pit person at concerts though strangely..

Besides that I’m a bit of a computer nerd, massive fan of the Dark Souls gaming series for example.  So if I’m not writing/listening to music I’m probably gaming or throwing weights around.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks a lot for the interview and the awesome review. And thanks to the people reading this and all the support I’ve been getting since the debut release. Been getting messages from people that really had an amazing time listening to the album and that's all i really wanted to achieve with this project so that means the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment